Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pork and Peaches

We ran out of skim milk and Clint's favorite breakfast cereal (Barbara's Puffins--Peanut Butter Flavor) yesterday morning so I figured I should stop by the store and pick up some replacements that afternoon lest there be a panic the next morning.

The closest grocery store to my office is Bloomingfoods on the Near West Side. I have a love affair with that store and wish I could find everything that I need there to run my household and at reasonable prices to boot. But I digress...

Every Tuesday evening during the season there is a small farmers market on the west side of the store. There are only a few vendors but nearly all of them had beautiful looking green beans, tomatoes (FINALLY), peaches and blackberries. Regrettably, I only had 5 dollars cash in hand so I opted for some green beans at $3.00 a bag. I was so entranced by the prospect peaches though that I picked up a few inside the store (where I could use my credit card), along with a sweet onion and some peach nectar, in addition to the real reasons I went to the store (e.g. milk and cereal). I had three boneless pork loin chops waiting for me in the fridge for dinner so I formulated a plan on the fly. Here's what I made:

Boneless pork chops with sweet onion and peach glaze, steamed green beans, couscous with blue cheese crumbles

My go-to recipes for green beans and couscous were included in the post entitled "Make-Up". Look there if you are curious. The only difference between this couscous dish and the pilaf included in the prior post is that I omitted the veggies added blue cheese crumbles to the cooked couscous at the end.

Boneless Pork Chops with Sweet Onion and Peach Glaze

Ingredients:
  • 1 sweet onion, cut into 8ths
  • 3 peaches, peeled and sliced
  • 3-4 boneless pork loin chops
  • 1/2 C Peach Nectar
  • 1/3 C Orange Juice
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 dash of hot sauce
  • few drops of sesame oil
  • Dash of white rum
  • Handful of Thyme
  • pinch of salt
  • Handful of fresh ground pepper
Directions:
  • Mix the sliced peaches and onions together in a small bowl; set aside
  • Mix the Peach Nectar, Orange Joice, Ginger, Rum, Hot Sauce, and Sesame Oil in a small bowl or measure cup and set aside.
  • Mix the thyme, salt and pepper together in a small bowl
  • Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle both sides liberally with thyme mixture
  • Add 1 Tbl of oil to hot pan. Add pork chops and brown, around 3-4 minutes each side; remove from pan and cover to keep warm
  • Add onion and peach mixture to pan, reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the peaches caramelize
  • Add peach nectar
  • Return pork chops to pan
  • Cook until nectar reduces down to a syrupy consistency
  • Top pork chops with glaze and serve.


2 comments:

  1. Jess, this is amazing. Do you make up your recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I make up my own recipes from scratch. More often than not, I read a recipe and take inspiration from it. I tweak it in places, adding my own flavors, cooking techniques or ingredients. I improve, I guess you would say, on the "mother recipe" It is a rarity if I follow a recipe verbatim and more than often not, if I do, I don't like the results.

    ReplyDelete