Monday, August 1, 2011

Good Ol'Standbys

In response to this blog, a friend of mine asked what cookbooks would I recommend, particularly to someone who maybe doesn't consider herself a good or imaginative cook. I don't have an extensive collection of cookbooks, having culled many of them in a maniacal cleaning effort a few years ago. I only kept the books that I frequently go back to for inspiration and guidance. So, here is my list of good ol'standbys. Not all of them are cookbooks per se, but I find them essential to good, no frills cooking:

1. Williams Sonoma Kitchen Companion: The A to Z Guide to Everyday Cooking Equipment and Ingredients.
This isn't a cook book, but its great cooking reference guide. It provides information from with what temperature means a chicken thigh is safely cooked to how to peel a serve a mango

2. Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombaer and Marion Rombaer Becker
This is a veritable tome of recipes. It will tell you everything from how to boil an egg to how to cook a snipe. The one down side is that it doesn't have any pictures.

3. Sara's Secret for Weeknight Meals by Sara Moulton
Great chef with great simple recipes for the busy cook. I love love love the food processor pizza dough and the frittata recipes.

4. Cooks Illustrated Magazine.
The recipes are EXCELLENT and very easy to follow. Their special holiday issues are great. I love the inserts that will compare food or food-related items, like the best store bought pasta sauce, or the hints and tricks for making food preparation faster.

5. Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
Nigella is a beautiful, British foodie who makes comfort food with a kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment