Friday, October 14, 2011

The Great Bread Dilemma

Its my theory that my daughter doesn't eat sandwiches at home because she doesn't like my organic, dry, oh-so-good for you wheat/grain/nut bread. Rather, she, like most children, prefer the type of white bread that is so soft you can squish it into dough balls with your fingers. This is the type of bread that has never made an appearance at my house.

So, I was determined to try a number of recipes for a more kid-friendly, yet still healthy, wheat bread.Turns out, this is the only recipe I need. After I baked this bread I ran a taste test on Cece. She promptly gobbled a slice up, still warm from the oven and slathered with butter and jelly. Truly kid tested and mother approved!

I altered this recipe, which I found on the side of my Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour bag, by adding Honey and Sunflower seeds. It is TOTALLY easy to put together because it does not require any kneading or rising, and it makes 2 loaves at a time, which is ultra efficient.

Ingredients:
  • 4 C W.hole Wheat Flour
  • 2 C unbleached White Flour
  • 1/2 C Sugar
  • 1/4 C Honey
  • Handful of Sunflower seeds
  • 1 quart Buttermilk
  • 4 Tsp Baking Soda

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Mix first 5 ingredients in a large bowl
  • In another large bowl, mix baking soda and buttermilk together (this will expand so be careful)
  • Quickly stir the wet ingredients into the dry
  • Pour into 2 bread pans that were sprayed with non-stick spray and smooth the tops
  • Put in oven and turn heat down to 350
  • Bake for 40-50 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment